I am currently in Euston station, waiting for my train going back “up North” so I have ninety minutes to reflect on the last two days. For those that don’t know, Eroticon 2013 is a conference and meet-up for sex writers and bloggers that was hosted on the South Bank in London.
I had some idea of what I hoped for but no idea what to expect. I arrived on Friday, alas not co-ordinated enough to attend the pre-Eroticon drinkies but was one of the first to arrive on Saturday – standing outside the venue in mildly cool March air for 40 minutes. There were a number of people attending that I had heard of, but only one that I actively followed - Dirty Little Whispers.
It was entertaining seeing Marie and Rose manage to attract attention from drivers passing with their risque dress; it wasn’t anything to do with my jeans that I kept on having to pull up (my weight loss has caused my jeans and belt to be too big)
Unfortunately I had to miss a couple of seminars as they clashed with other things I was interested in, but I attended seminars from Cressida Downing, Kristina Lloyd, John Tisbury, Hazel Cushion and MK Elliot. They were all brilliant, but the real advantage was meeting all the wonderful delegate, over both days. I name them at the bottom of the page but have probably missed someone out; I do not think I have ever been with a more relaxed, welcoming and chatty group of people and it is this that I enjoyed the most from the weekend.
The #auralsex event in a student pub-cum-hotel in deepest darkest Kennington, was excellent. The readings were superb, but the comperes Wanton Words and Burlesque Bombshells really helped pull the evening together and were hilarious and incredibly talented, as were the readers.
The last day was equally as brilliant; I had seminars on more topics and got to speak with so many wonderful people as well as a BDSM talk (and demonstration from Molly and an eager Amanda) to a photography session with Mario.
There is much more to say; I could write 50,000 words and not do justice to this weekend. However, being in a cold station, has given me time to consider what I have got out of the event, and I think I need to make some promises to myself. I write them here so I have to keep to them.
1, I need to improve my writing. I thought my writing wasn’t too bad, but after hearing the #auralsex readings especially, I know where I need to improve. I used to read a book a week, but now don’t read as much; I can’t improve my writing unless I do that so I will read more blogs and more books. I also need to put more emotion into my writing; I get told I have a relaxed writing style but it needs more. I now know this.
2. I need to use Twitter. I got chastised by Emma Whispers among others, for not utilising Twitter at all, and it is a missed opportunity. I met some great people and stories at Eroticon, I want to remain in contact with them at least. My Twitter account, after a year of inactivity has been dusted down and is being used.
3. My website is only ever used to dump my stories on; Molly’s talk showed how bad an idea that is. I have nowhere to talk about my thoughts, so I will incorporate some more of that in the future. She also illustrated how I could make improvements to my site, which I shall do this week, and I will aim for two blog posts a week thereafter.
4. I will try and contribute to #sinfulsundays on a vaguely regular basis. It looks like fun.
5. I will go to Eroticon 2014.
6. I will buy a bloody belt that fits!
In no particular order, thanks to Ruby (for organising it), Molly, Dom, Rose, Decadent Whispers, Mario, Emma, Alice, Harper, Marie, Amanda, Lori, Ruby, Miss Urania, Emily and Rachel amongst others. I hope to see you all soon